Vacancies at African Union
Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA P. O. Box 3243 Telephone 517 700 Cables: OAU, ADDIS ABABA
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : COORDINATOR, THE AFRICAN SEED AND BIOTECHNOLOGY PROGRAMME (ASBP)
Recognizing the importance of improved seeds as a major input in increasing agricultural productivity quantitatively and qualitatively for the attainment of food security in the Continent, the African Union Heads of State during the 5th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the AU in Sirte, Libya in July 2005 recommended the need to formulate an Africa-wide seed and biotechnology programme as one of the priority areas for the development of Africa. A decision endorsing the programme was adopted at the 8th Ordinary Session of the Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in January 2007. The ASBP is a strategic framework for the development of the African seed sector with 6 major components to be implemented at Continental, Regional and National levels.
In this connection, the AUC invites applications from suitable qualified citizens of Member States of the AU to apply for the position of Coordinator, African Seed and Biotechnology Programme (ASBP) on the following terms and conditions.
Post Title: Coordinator, African Seed and Biotechnology Programme (ASBP)
Unit: Rural Economy and Agriculture Directorate
Supervisor: Head, Agriculture and Food Security
Duration: Three (3) months
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Head, Agriculture and Food Security Division the consultant will contribute to the initial implementation of the ASBP.
Specifically, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Using the existing ASBP program document and project profiles, write first 2 or 3 bankable projects.
- Assist the AU in liaising with potential donors, relevant institutions and partners identified in the institutional arrangement including RECs, CGIAR centers, seed initiatives, set up national and regional focal point for ASBP.
- Assist the AU in the preparation and the establishment of a better communication and public awareness system for the ASBP
- Assist the AU in publishing the ASBP documents including through a website
- Assist the AU in contacting potential donors including the preparation of all relevant background documents and information notes for donors and other partners
- Contribute to the overall management of the ASBP
The Consultant should
- Possess at least a Master’s Degree in Agriculture, biological sciences, and/or economics with a strong experience in project development, and fund raising
- Experience in research, extension, networking, seed sector development will be an advantage.
- Possess at least 8 years’ experience in agricultural sector development particularly in Africa.
- Have initiative, good team spirit and be able to work in a multicultural setting.
Work experience requirement: Candidates must have at least 5 years of appropriate experience. A good knowledge of the CAADP principles and implementation strategy would be an added advantage.
Other relevant skills Required :
- Understanding of crop systems within various agro-ecological zones;
- Board awareness of the NARS, regional programs in agriculture and IARCs;
- Working knowledge of policy analysis and development;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Good planning and organisational skills ;
- Strong computer skills.
Candidates must preferably be between 30 and 45 years old.
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or more of the other working languages would be an added advantage.
Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the AU Commission;
- A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
- Names and contact details (including e-mail address) of three references;
- Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 79,903.40 inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 68,299.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be received not later than 30th July 2010 and should be addressed to:
Director, Administration and Human Resource Development
African Union Commission
P.O. Box 3243
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Other jobs are here: http://www.africa-union.org/root/au/Employment/Vacancies.htm